Watercolor Landscape of a Vineyard

Watercolor Landscape of a Vineyard

Watch as I share my watercolor painting techniques for painting a landscape of a vineyard close to where I live.

You can see the supply list and read the instructions in the workbook:   Abacela Vineyards Workbook

First is the sky area. Mix up a gray color using Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Cerulean Blue. Put this color in random areas in the sky. Then begin painting the blue part of the sky using Cerulean Blue. Paint around the cloud shapes, leaving some areas white. Connect the blue and go a bit lighter as you reach the horizon line. Then before that has a chance to dry, mix up a nice yellow/green using yellow ochre and cerulean blue. Paint in the foreground being sure to paint around the building and the grapes. Use nice broad brushstrokes.

As you get closer to the bottom, use more pigment and less water. Try to skim across the surface leaving bits of the white paper showing. This helps create texture. Finally mix up a darker color using burnt sienna, cerulean blue and a bit of ultramarine blue. Use this to paint a shadow area as I did in the video. Add a few touches of dark to the foreground. Then relax and let it dry.

Once the painting is completely dry, you can paint the distant mountain. Make a cornflower blue shade by mixing ultramarine blue and cadmium red. You want to keep it fairly light in value.

Now on to the trees. Mix up a pretty thick olive green color using yellow ochre and cerulean blue. Paint the tree shapes quickly. Overworking is your worst enemy!

Then you can add some shadows to the trees by using a darker green (yellow ochre, ultramarine blue). Add trunks and ground shadows as in the video.

Moving over to the grapes, you can use your other yellow, either aureolin yellow or cadmium yellow with cerulean to make a light yellow-green. Paint this at the top, then make a darker mixture of the same color and paint the middle.

Finally paint the bottoms using an even darker green made with yellow and ultramarine blue. Paint the two trees above the grapes in the same manner as the previous trees. For the shadow side of the roof, use cadmium red and burnt sienna. For the sunlit side use cadmium red. Shadow side of the building is burnt sienna, sunlit side is yellow ochre.

Add a few finishing touches to the foreground to give the illusion of grass and foliage and your painting is complete!

17 Comments

1. I love your painting ,it is inspiring and you explain everything step by step with very clear calming voice (soft and lovely voice ), I am interest to know what type of paper and brushes you use and also the brand or make of painting material you use ,do you recommend any or do you have your online shop and thank you so much for sharing your talent

• Hi Mofreh, Thank you so much! I usually use Fabriano Artistico Paper, 140lb Rough. The small black brush is a Da Vinci Maestro Kolinksy Sable #8. The larger red brushes are Castagnet Squirrel Quill Mops by Neef. For the paint, I use either Daniel Smith Watercolors or Winsor Newton. Hope that is helpful!

2. Great website and Great artist

3. Lovely work. How long are you painting with watercolours? And where can I buy that palette – metal box for paints from tubes? I’ve been looking for it for ages, but all I can get are just the plastic boxes… If on internet, can you send me the seller’s link please?
    Thank you, Mike.

• Thanks Mike! I’ve been painting since 2002. Oh, that palette…I’ve been asked so many times. :) It’s really hard to find anymore and then my husband made a custom aluminum insert for me. These days I’m using one from Cheap Joes (because I can actually give people a link to it). It’s not as heavy as the one in this video but I like it. And the pans are nice because you can switch them out and move things around. http://www.cheapjoes.com/prod/AJWC-TIN/

4. Vinita,
    I love your free-flowing approach to watercolor painting. Did you wet the sky part of the paper before painting the clouds? Did you stretch the paper first?

• Hi Bill, Thanks! I started with dry paper and I didn’t stretch the paper…I just taped it down to a board with masking tape.

5. this website is very much usefull for me

6. HI i love your painting style and you are very easy to follow. I am a late beginner and wonder if your online course Going Green would be ok for me as a beginner. Thanks for free lessons.

Hannah

7. Hello Vinita, I am still relatively new to watercolour. One thing I have learned, is that dependent on the brand of paint you use, you will sometimes get completely different results mixing colours of the same name. So I am curious to know the brand of paint you are using. I have Winsor & Newton Artist grade.
    Thanks much for your time and the wonderful videos you have so graciously provided.
    Cheers, Val

• Hi Val, I use a combination of Winsor & Newton, Daniel Smith and M. Graham watercolors. And thank you..I’m glad you found the videos helpful. :)

8. Just found your site on YouTube. It is great, hope you will be posting more of your classes. I am just beginning painting with watercolor and found your classes very helpful. Thank you so much.
    Best regards
    SG

9. Hello ! First of all thank you so much for this wonderful . beautiful demo . I realy realy love it ! I draw and paint since I was a little kid and I’ve seen many many demos before but I have to say I’ve never seen a wonderful one like yours . you made it look so easy to do with your amazing technique ! I’ve subscribed to your channel on youtube and to the mailing list . and I realy hope you will make other demos ! thanks again ^_^

10. Thanks for all the great comments! I’ll try to post a new free demo soon. The online class has new demos each month if that’s something you would be interested in. Here is the link to more info on the class: http://www.create38.com/about-create38/

@Val I use a combination of Daniel Smith, Winsor Newton and M. Graham paints.

11. Love your style of painting, tutorials are very good to follow.
    Thanks for sharing .

12. I painted from this demo today and it was a helpful exercise. I couldn’t get the green’s you are getting with yellow ochre. I felt the composition needed some changing after doing it. The house and the vineyard seem too small in scale to me. A more interesting composition would have them larger, esp. the house. Now I’m doing your Portland cafe scene.

Submit a Comment